The Universal Declaration of Human Rights set out, for the first time, fundamental human rights to be universally protected.
There are 30 Articles in the UDHR describing fundamental human rights and Article 26 is the right to education.
After the UDHR the United Nations went on to develop specific Conventions to cover a range of issues including disability, racism and women’s rights.
Human rights resources
When agreeing policies/decisions consideration must be given to the affect on anyone’s Human Rights especially with regards to:
- The Human Rights Act (1998)
- United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child
- The United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD)
- The United Nations Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (UNCEDAW)
- International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination
- A Guide to the Human Rights Act (1998)
- Full list of UN Human Rights Conventions
- Northern Ireland Human Rights Commission - Educating and promoting awareness