The Department of Education has announced the appointment of two new members to the Education Authority Board.
The appointments are as follows:
Mrs Sarah Kelly is from Derry and is the former Principal of St Joseph’s Boys School, Derry and Thornhill College, Derry. Mrs Kelly brings to the board of the EA experience of managing budgets, staff management and developing policies. She is a former board member of Youth Life and is a founding member of Pathways to Work. Mrs Kelly has declared that she has not undertaken any political activity during the last five years and is currently serving on the Board of Governors of Galliagh Nursery school.
Mr Nelson McCausland is from Newtownabbey and is a member of the committee of the Ulster Scots Community Network. He has declared that during the last five years he has undertaken political activity for the DUP, holding office both at local branch level and as a MLA (2003-2017). He is a member of the Ulster-Scots Broadcast Fund committee of NI Screen for which he receives no remuneration.
Notes to editors:
1. The Education Authority (EA) came into operation on 1 April 2015, replacing the five former Education and Library Boards (ELBs) and their Staff Commission.
2. The constitution of the EA Board is set out in the Education Act (NI) 2014. The Board comprises a Chairperson appointed by the Minister and 20 members who are nominated by a range of interests, i.e. there are 12 members appointed after consultation with bodies representing the trustees of maintained schools, transferors of controlled schools, Irish-Medium schools, integrated schools, voluntary grammar schools & controlled grammar schools, and 8 political members who are nominated by the relevant political parties.
3. Mrs Kelly’s appointment commenced on 2 July 2018 and will end on 31 March 2019 (unless terminated before that time). Mr McCausland’s appointment commenced on 10 July 2018 and will cease in accordance with the provisions of the Education Act (NI) 2014. The annual remuneration for the position is £8,800 per annum plus travel and subsistence allowances.
4. Media enquiries to the Department of Education’s Communications Team Tel: (028) 9127 9207. Out of office hours contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623974383 and your call will be returned.
- Home to School Transport Review 03 December 2018
- Ten youth capital investment schemes given the go-ahead 29 November 2018
- New accommodation officially opened at St Joseph's Primary School, Newcastle 09 November 2018
- Nominate your school for Derrytrasna Pastoral Care Awards 06 November 2018