A new state of the art building for Braidside Integrated Primary and Nursery School in Ballymena officially opened today.
The £7 million project, funded through Fresh Start money, provides a 14 classroom school with a single nursery unit for 300 pupils.
Speaking at the official opening, the Education Minister Michelle McIlveen said: “It gives me great pleasure to be here today to celebrate the opening of these magnificent facilities. The investment of over £7 million has improved the school experience for everyone currently at Braidside Integrated and also for future generations.
“I would like to commend the staff, pupils and parents for their perseverance and patience over the last few years, as the project team has taken the work through from design to planning and construction.”
Construction work on the new school began in April 2018 with the school opening in late August 2020.
Concluding, the Minister said: “I hope these modern facilities will match the school’s collective enthusiasm and passion for learning and teaching and will help the school advance further on its education journey.”
Notes to editors:
- Project Managers were TetraTech (formerly White Young Green) and the Architectural Design Team were Isherwood & Ellis.
- Contractors were Glasgiven Contract Ltd.
- Follow us on Twitter @Education_ni
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office at Press.Office@education-ni.gov.uk.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out-of-hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- McIlveen welcomes £1m investment in IT resources for voluntary youth sector 24 January 2022
- ‘Safety and wellbeing of children and young people a priority’ - McIlveen 10 January 2022
- Appointment of new members to the Boards of the Northern Ireland Council for Integrated Education and Comhairle na Gaelscolaĺochta 07 January 2022
- McIlveen congratulates education staff receiving New Year Honours 31 December 2021