A campaign to encourage applications to the role of school governors launched at the end of January.
Schools across Northern Ireland are looking for skilled volunteers to become part of their team.
You don’t have to be a parent with a child at the school and you don’t need previous experience or qualifications as a governor. Becoming a school governor is a great opportunity to share your skills, gain experience in areas such as project management, recruitment and budget control whilst doing something great for the community at the same time.
Successful applicants will be expected to take up the post for a four year term of office from 2018 - 2022 and will have the opportunity to use their skills to make a positive difference to the lives of young people in helping them to achieve their full potential at school.
By becoming a school governor, you will be helping schools to do their very best for our young people to provide them with the best possible chance in life. You will be making an invaluable contribution within our local communities and wider society, whilst meeting new people and learning new skills.
Further information, guidance on how to apply to become a school governor and a copy of the application form are available online to download from the Department of Education website and the Education Authority website.
Current serving governors who are applying for reappointment must also complete a standardised governor application form to be considered for re-nomination.
Notes to editors:
- There are approximately 12,000 school governor vacancies to be filled across Northern Ireland. DE and EA are responsible for the appointment of 6748 school governors’ vacancies. Other Education stakeholders have responsibility to appoint the additional 5,300 (approximate) school governor vacancies.
- The reconstitution of school governors involves retaining existing school governors and recruiting new governors.
- Follow the Department of Education on Twitter @education_NI
- Follow the Education Authority on Twitter @Ed_Authority
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 9127 9207. Out of office hours, contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 0762 397 4383 and your call will be returned.
- A promotional video on the role of a school governor can be viewed on ESaGS.tv website.
- New £5 million St Bronagh’s Primary School and Youth Centre officially opened 15 February 2019
- HRH The Princess Royal opens £24million Foyle College 07 February 2019
- Green light for £40million investment in 16 schools 21 January 2019
- Home to School Transport Review 03 December 2018