Thirty-one teachers will leave the profession under the Investing in the Teaching Workforce scheme. Departures will take place between December 2017 and March 2018.
Job opportunities for recently qualified teachers will be advertised by the Education Authority and the Council for Catholic Maintained Schools (CCMS) this week.
The aim of the pilot scheme is to refresh the teaching workforce by enabling the release of teachers aged 55 years and over whilst providing job opportunities for teachers who have qualified to teach in 2012 up to and including 2016.
An evaluation will be carried out to see if the anticipated benefits have been realised after which the Department will decide on next steps.
Notes to editors:
- Follow us on Twitter @Education_NI
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 9127 9207.
- Out of office hours, contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 0762 397 4383 and your call will be returned.
- Applications sought for School Governors across Northern Ireland 22 January 2018
- School closures due to adverse weather 18 January 2018
- Briefing on Northern Ireland Budgetary Outlook 2018-20 22 December 2017
- New £2.9million improvement project at Sullivan Upper 15 December 2017