Education Minister John O’Dowd has opened a new ICT unit at St Joseph’s Primary School, Killeenan in Cookstown.
An investment of £70,000 from the Department of Education as well as fundraising organised through the Parent Fundraising Group has enabled the construction of additional office space, an ICT unit and a medical room.
The Minister viewed the new facilities at the school and paid tribute to pupils, staff and parents. He said:
“It is always special for me as Education Minister to have the opportunity to attend the opening of any new facilities.
“The new office and ICT area are excellent facilities which will benefit the children during their journey in formal education. I am very pleased that I was able to provide an investment of £70,000 for the school. There are other minor works underway also which will enhance the fabric of the school.
“St Joseph’s Primary School has been delivering good quality education to the young people of Cookstown for many years. These new and upgraded areas in the school will help continue this good work.”
Notes to editors:
- The Department of Education’s ‘Education Works’ campaign promotes the value of education. This year’s campaign aims to ensure that parents have information on schooling and that they are aware of the steps they can take to ‘Get Involved’ and support their teenager in achieving good outcomes at school. Watch out for the ads on television, radio and outdoor locations. The campaign highlights the vital role families can play in helping children do well at school and improve their life chances. Visit nidirect - Education Works for more information or watch the TV ad on the Department’s YouTube channel.
- See photos from the Department of Education in our Flickr collection.
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 9127 9207. Out of office hours, contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 076 99 715 440, and your call will be returned.
- Appointment of a Non-Executive Member to the Department of Education 06 May 2022
- McIlveen announces extra £7.6M for Engage II programme 26 March 2022
- Statement from Education Minister on the use of face coverings in schools 25 March 2022
- McIlveen launches Platinum Jubilee Education Programme 25 March 2022