Education Minister John O’Dowd has opened a new 26 place part-time nursery unit at Phoenix Integrated Primary School in Cookstown.
The new unit was provided under the Department’s minor works scheme at a cost of £330,000. The Minister also viewed other completed minor works at the school which represent an additional investment of £499,000 to create new classrooms and an entrance area and other associated works.
The Minister was welcomed to the school by representatives of the Pupil Council and the Principal. He said:
“I was last here two years ago and I am delighted to return to see at first hand the impressive transformation that has occurred with a capital investment of over £800,000. This has made such a difference to the overall fabric of the learning environment here in Phoenix.
“This purpose built, inviting space will give many children in the Cookstown area their first taste of education and set them up for many happy school-days ahead.
“I would like to thank all involved for their commitment and patience as this project took shape. It gives me great pleasure today to officially open this facility and wish all pupils well on their educational journey.”
Notes to editors:
- The Department of Education’s ‘Education Works’ campaign promotes the value of education. This year’s campaign aims to ensure that parents have information on schooling and that they are aware of the steps they can take to ‘Get Involved’ and support their teenager in achieving good outcomes at school. Watch out for the ads on television, radio and outdoor locations. The campaign highlights the vital role families can play in helping children do well at school and improve their life chances. Visit nidirect - Education Works for more information or watch the TV ad on the Department’s YouTube channel.
- See photos from the Department of Education in our Flickr collection.
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 9127 9207. Out of office hours, contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 076 99 715 440, and your call will be returned.
- Applications sought for members to the Council for the Curriculum, Examinations & Assessment 18 September 2023
- Construction work begins on £4.4 million sixth form accommodation at Parkhall Integrated College 18 September 2023
- Work begins on £11million building project for Coleraine Grammar School 11 September 2023
- Consultation launched on the Reduction and Management of Restrictive Practices in Educational Settings 05 September 2023