Minister for Education John O'Dowd today launched new resources to make it easier for school governors to access the information they need to carry out their role effectively.
In addition to a detailed ‘Guide for School Governors’ school governors now have access to a bespoke web portal and an app.
The Minister for Education John O'Dowd said:
"School governors play a key role in the management of our schools. They are responsible for ensuring a school does everything in its power to help children and young people achieve their full potential.
School governors therefore must be equipped to carry out their role efficiently and effectively which is why these new resources will prove invaluable as they carry out their duties.
I remain committed to ensuring that governors have access to all the information they need to help them in their role. I welcome the development of these additional resources which will help governors by allowing them to access information more flexibly and in a variety of ways.”
Notes to editors:
- The App is available to download from the Google Play Store (for Android users) and from the iTunes Store (for apple users). The new web portal can be accessed via the Education Authority website.
- The Department of Education’s ‘Education Works’ campaign promotes the value of education. This year’s campaign aims to ensure that parents have information on schooling and that they are aware of the steps they can take to ‘Get Involved’ and support their teenager in achieving good outcomes at school. Watch out for the ads on television, radio and outdoor locations. The campaign highlights the vital role families can play in helping children do well at school and improve their life chances. Visit nidirect for more information or watch the TV ad on the Department’s YouTube channel.
- See photos from the Department of Education in our Flickr collection.
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 9127 9207. Out of office hours, contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 076 99 715 440, and your call will be returned.
- Appointment of a Non-Executive Member to the Department of Education 06 May 2022
- McIlveen announces extra £7.6M for Engage II programme 26 March 2022
- Statement from Education Minister on the use of face coverings in schools 25 March 2022
- McIlveen launches Platinum Jubilee Education Programme 25 March 2022