New £1.3million accommodation has been officially opened at John Paul II Primary School in Belfast.
The project provided through the School Enhancement Programme includes four classroom extensions and alterations to the existing building and play area.
Permanent Secretary for the Department of Education, Derek Baker, who attended the opening said:
“I am delighted to see the tangible benefits that this investment under the School Enhancement Programme is having on our schools. The Programme was developed to provide much needed facilities to improve the school environment and create a better place for pupils to learn and flourish.
“The investment of £1.3million in new and improved facilities at John Paul II Primary School will have a positive impact on pupils, teachers and school staff now and for generations to come.”
John Paul II Primary Principal, Raymond Hunter said:
“The new facilities provide an extremely welcoming environment and climate that will enable us to ensure that children reach their full potential.
“We have a new state of the art building which enhances the schools estate for today and tomorrow.”
Notes to editors:
- The School Enhancement Project (SEP) was announced in 2013 for projects costing between £500,000 and £4,000,000. The programme is targeted to meet the immediate and pressing needs in schools where major capital works are not deemed deliverable.
- Work commenced on site August 2016 and completed September 2017.
- Follow us on Twitter @education_NI
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 9127 9207. Out of office hours, contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 0762 397 4383 and your call will be returned.
- Ministers support cyber security message to protect children and young people online 11 February 2020
- Education Minister opens anti-bullying young people’s forum 07 February 2020
- Consultation on proposed update to nutritional standards for school food 30 January 2020
- Weir: Best wishes to P7 pupils waiting for entrance test results 23 January 2020