The Hon Mr Justice Colton today in the High Court determined that the terms of the Investing in the Teaching Workforce Scheme are lawful.
The application for Judicial Review was dismissed and the Court determined that the Scheme was a proportionate means of achieving a legitimate aim.
A spokesperson for the Department of Education said:
“The Department is pleased that the High Court has determined that the terms of the scheme are lawful. We intend to consult further with the Employing Authorities on the appropriate timing of the implementation of the pilot scheme, which was paused ahead of the Court’s determination.
“We will bring forward proposals for the implementation of the paused scheme and the progressing of conditional offers already made to teachers as soon as possible.”
Notes to editors:
- Follow us on Twitter @education_NI
- See photos from the Department of Education in our flickr collection.
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 9127 9207. Out of office hours, contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623 974383, and your call will be returned.
- Statement from the Department of Education on uniform grants 2017/18 25 July 2017
- ‘Teacher workforce statistics in grant-aided schools in Northern Ireland, 2016/17’ and ‘Teacher vacancies, sickness absence and substitution statistics in grant-aided schools in Northern Ireland, 2016/17’ 15 June 2017
- Qualifications and Destinations of Northern Ireland School Leavers 2015/16 07 June 2017
- 19 May 2017