Education Minister, Peter Weir, has officially opened a new 3G pitch at Integrated College during a series of visits to the Dungannon area.
The 3G pitch was provided through the School Enhancement Programme and is part of an overall investment of approximately £3.5million. When complete, the project will also deliver a new two-storey sports hall including a fitness room and drama/dance studio.
Speaking today, the Minister said:
“The School Enhancement Programme is having very real benefits on our schools estate, providing much needed facilities and creating a better place for pupils to learn and flourish in.
“It gives me great pleasure to celebrate the official opening of the new 3G pitch at Integrated College Dungannon and to view the progress of the new sports hall which will benefit pupils for generations to come.”
The School Enhancement Programme targets investment to meet the immediate and pressing needs in schools by providing investment of between £500,000 and £4,000,000.
Principal of Integrated College Dungannon, Andrew Sleeth said:
“I am delighted to welcome the Minister for Education to Integrated College Dungannon to open our new 3G floodlit pitch and to view the ongoing work on our new Sports Hall. We appreciate the support the Department of Education has given us through the School Enhancement Programme and look forward to utilising these new facilities fully with our own students and with the local community.”
Notes to editors:
- Follow us on Twitter @education_NI
- See photos from the Department of Education in our flickr collection.
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 9127 9207. Out of office hours, contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 0762 397 4383, and your call will be returned.
- Work begins on £25million Ulidia Integrated College 29 September 2022
- McIlveen officially opens new £3million St Mary’s Youth Club 28 September 2022
- McIlveen cuts first sod for new £6.3million primary school in Limavady 27 September 2022
- New strategy will embed Shared Education in Northern Ireland: McIlveen 21 September 2022