Education Minister, Peter Weir, today visited Methodist College, Belfast where work has started on a major refurbishment project.
The project which is provided through the School Enhancement Programme, will see the refurbishment of the McArthur Hall building involving extensive repair and remedial work to the listed building. Once completed, the scheme will provide new educational spaces to include an ICT Suite, Business Information Systems, Library, Careers Suite and general classrooms. Ancillary accommodation to include admin office, staff and pupil toilets, and roofing over the main and minor internal courtyard to provide new accommodation.
Speaking following the visit, the Minister said:
“This £4million investment will provide excellent new and improved facilities and accommodation which will enhance the working and learning environment for pupils and school staff.
“Improving the schools estate is a priority for me and the School Enhancement Programme is an excellent way of delivering capital work projects which have an immediate positive impact on the school environment and the young people within schools.”
The School Enhancement Programme (SEP) was initially announced in 2013 for projects costing between £500,000 and £4,000,000. The programme is targeted to meet the immediate and pressing needs in schools, through smaller scale works, where a new build is not deemed deliverable.
Principal of Methodist College, Scott Naismith said:
“The College is grateful for the Minister’s support and for the Department’s investment in McArthur Hall. The regeneration of this iconic building will enhance the learning experiences and opportunities of all of our pupils. Initially the enhanced space will allow us to decant classes and administrative support from the original School House building to allow the next phase of our transformational campus development to commence.”
Notes to editors:
- Methodist College is a Voluntary Grammar School in Belfast.
- The main contractor is Woodvale Construction Company Ltd.
- Follow us on Twitter @education_NI
- See photos from the Department of Education in our flickr collection.
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 9127 9207. Out of office hours, contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 0762 397 4383 and your call will be returned.
- Statement on Investing in the Teaching Workforce Scheme judgment 19 May 2017
- Year 12 and Year 14 Examination Performance at Post-Primary Schools in Northern Ireland - Statistical Bulletin 27 April 2017
- School Meals in Northern Ireland 2016/17 Statistical Bulletin 11 April 2017
- Consultation on Free School Meals and Uniform Grants Eligibility Criteria 06 April 2017