Joan McEwan has been appointed as an independent, Non-Executive Member to the Departmental Board of the Department of Education and as Chair of the Audit and Risk Assurance Committee.
Joan McEwan’s appointment is for an initial two year term from 20 November 2017. This may be extended up to a maximum total term of six years.
The primary role of a Non-Executive Member is to contribute to the good governance of the Department. This involves offering constructive challenge across all of the Department’s business, with a view to ensuring that all aspects of strategy and delivery of policy are scrutinised for effectiveness and efficiency.
Notes to editors:
1. Joan McEwan currently works with Marie Curie in Northern Ireland as Head of Policy and Public Affairs. She has experience of working in partnership with the public and third sectors in the field of health and social care and is a member of the Lisburn Integrated Care Partnership (ICP) Committee.
Mrs McEwan’s background in banking has provided her with extensive financial management skills in managing budgets, investment programmes as well as governance and risk management. Mrs McEwan is also a Non-Executive Board member of the Patient and Client Council and is Chair of its Governance and Risk Committee. Mrs McEwan holds no other public appointments.
2. The Departmental Board comprises the following members:
- Permanent Secretary (Chairperson);
- Three Deputy Secretaries;
- Chief Inspector of Education and Training Inspectorate;
- Finance Director;
- Departmental Strategic HR Business Partner
- Two Non-Executive Members
3. Media queries, contact the Department of Education Press Office on 028 9127 9207. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623974383 and your call will be returned.
- Ministers support cyber security message to protect children and young people online 11 February 2020
- Education Minister opens anti-bullying young people’s forum 07 February 2020
- Consultation on proposed update to nutritional standards for school food 30 January 2020
- £11.4 million works begin on St Patrick’s Primary School, North Belfast 23 January 2020