Ten capital schemes for the voluntary youth sector can now advance in planning.
It is anticipated that the total expenditure on these projects will be in the region of £5.9million. Design work will start immediately, with construction work anticipated to begin for some projects during the financial year 2018/19 and continue into following years.
Permanent Secretary, Derek Baker said: “Good quality youth work can significantly and positively impact on the lives of young people and make a real difference to their future. The Voluntary Youth Capital Scheme gives youth organisations across Northern Ireland the opportunity to improve the facilities and services they offer to young people.
“With this in mind I have given approval to progress the first ten voluntary youth capital projects under the current scheme through the business case, design and planning stages. This is good news for young people and indeed the wider communities involved. I would hope to be in a position to announce further successful projects at a future date.”
The youth schemes progressing are -
- Basement Youth Club, Belfast – joint funding being considered by the Belfast City Council
- 110th Belfast Scout and Guides, St Bernadettes
- Langfield Youth Club, Drumquin
- Greater Shantallow Community Arts (Studio 2), Londonderry
- 1st Baronscourt Scout Group, Newtownstewart
- Galbally Youth and Community Association
- Clonard Youth, Belfast
- Seagoe Youth Club, Portadown
- Lisburn YMCA
- Cathedral Youth Club, Londonderry
Notes to editors:
1. The call for applications under the Voluntary Youth Capital Scheme was launched in 2016.
2. Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 9127 9268. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
- New accommodation officially opened at St Joseph's Primary School, Newcastle 09 November 2018
- Nominate your school for Derrytrasna Pastoral Care Awards 06 November 2018
- New £3.7million accommodation officially opened at St Patrick’s Academy 26 October 2018
- Major investment for Killean Primary School 23 October 2018