Education Minister, John O'Dowd, has approved a development proposal to close Evish Primary School in Strabane.
The Minister said:
“Evish Primary School has provided an excellent education to children from the local community. However over the years the school has suffered from declining enrolments and financial difficulties.
“Having considered all the relevant information, I have decided to approve the proposal to close Evish Primary School, with effect from 31 August 2016. Other local alternative provision will ensure that the children have the opportunity to mix with a wider range of peers and will enhance their learning experience.”
The Minister also paid tribute to everyone connected with Evish Primary School who, over the years, have shown their commitment and dedication to the school and its pupils.
Notes to editors:
1. On 1 October 2015, the Education Authority (EA), at the request of the Council for Catholic Maintained Schools (CCMS), published Development Proposal No. 424, proposing that Evish Primary School would close from 31 August 2016, or as soon as possible thereafter. The two-month objection period ended on 1 December 2015.
2. The Department of Education’s ‘Education Works’ campaign promotes the value of education. This year’s campaign aims to ensure that parents have information on schooling and that they are aware of the steps they can take to ‘Get Involved’ and support their teenager in achieving good outcomes at school. Watch out for the ads on television, radio and outdoor locations. The campaign highlights the vital role families can play in helping children do well at school and improve their life chances. Visit nidirect - Education Works for more information or watch the TV ad on the Department’s YouTube channel.
3. See photos from the Department of Education in our Flickr collection.
4. Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 9127 9207. Out of office hours, contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 076 99 715 440, and your call will be returned.
- Applications sought for members to the Council for the Curriculum, Examinations & Assessment 18 September 2023
- Construction work begins on £4.4 million sixth form accommodation at Parkhall Integrated College 18 September 2023
- Work begins on £11million building project for Coleraine Grammar School 11 September 2023
- Consultation launched on the Reduction and Management of Restrictive Practices in Educational Settings 05 September 2023