Education Minister Michelle McIlveen has offered her sincere sympathy to all those affected by the shooting at a school in Texas.
The Minister said: “The events in Texas are truly heart-breaking and no one could fail to be moved by the devastation caused by this horrific attack.
“As educators and human beings, we all want to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our children and young people. It is unthinkable that such an appalling act has been carried out at a school and the education community across the world is united in grief and disbelief at what has happened.
“My thoughts and prayers are with the loved ones of the children and teachers who lost their lives in the most tragic of circumstances; and with the many other children and families who have been impacted.”
Notes to editors:
1. Follow us on Twitter @Education_NI
2. Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 9127 9207 or email: Press.Office@education-ni.gov.uk.
3. The Executive Information Service operates an out-of-hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Applications sought for members to the Council for the Curriculum, Examinations & Assessment 18 September 2023
- Construction work begins on £4.4 million sixth form accommodation at Parkhall Integrated College 18 September 2023
- Work begins on £11million building project for Coleraine Grammar School 11 September 2023
- Consultation launched on the Reduction and Management of Restrictive Practices in Educational Settings 05 September 2023