Education Minister Peter Weir has welcomed today’s decision on the post-primary transfer test dates.
The Association of Quality Education (AQE) has confirmed their tests will be held on 21 November, 28 November and 12 December 2020, while the Post-Primary Transfer Consortium (PPTC) GL tests will be held on 5 December.
The Minister said: “I welcome this announcement which should provide pupils, parents and teachers with the clarity that they have been calling for on this important issue.
“More importantly, I hope that it will remove any stress that pupils and parents might be feeling and provide reassurance in terms of being able to plan and work towards the new dates that have been announced.
“I would also like to take this opportunity to thank both the Association of Quality Education (AQE) and Post Primary Transfer Consortium (PPTC) for working to make this happen in the unique circumstances that we currently face."
Notes to editors:
- All selective schools in Northern Ireland currently use one or both of two privately commissioned tests to select on the basis of academic ability. These are provided by Association for Quality Education (AQE Ltd) and the Post-Primary Transfer Consortium (PPTC). The Department does not endorse any particular transfer test or tests nor does it have a role in their operation.
- While the Department plays no role in the operation of the transfer tests, the Education Minister Peter Weir supports the right of schools to select on the basis of academic ability and wants to see a transfer process that is straightforward for children and parents.
- The Department has been consulted by the two test providers in relation to the change of transfer test dates. This is to ensure that the new test dates correlate and complement the whole post primary transfer process.
- More information can be found on the test provider websites: https://aqe.org.uk/ and http://www.pptcni.com/
- Media enquiries to the DE Press Office at: firstname.lastname@example.org Out of hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Weir welcomes additional funding for schools 29 October 2020
- Face coverings to be mandatory on all school transport for post primary children 29 October 2020
- Minister welcomes extension of Free School Meal payments to cover Halloween break 22 October 2020
- Applications sought for a Chairperson and Members for the Board of the Council for the Curriculum Examinations & Assessment (CCEA) 19 October 2020