Education Minister, Peter Weir, MLA has welcomed the outcome of a Judicial Review which challenged the closure of Little Flower Girls’ School and the establishment of a new co-educational post-primary school.
As a result of today’s judgment, Little Flower Girls’ School will close on the 31 August 2017 and amalgamate with St Patrick’s College (which will also close on the same date) to facilitate the opening of a new 1,300 place 11-19 co-educational Maintained secondary school on 1 September 2017.
Speaking about the judgment, the Minister said:
“Today’s judgment provides parents and pupils with the certainty they need to make informed choices about their education pathway at September 2017 and beyond. The re-shaping of Catholic secondary provision in the North Belfast and Glengormley area, which also impacts at provision at Mercy College and Edmund Rice College, is the result of many years of work and consultation by the Northern Ireland Council for Catholic Education and the Council for Catholic Maintained Schools.
“These proposals align with my Department’s Area Planning process and I am confident they will result in a network of viable and sustainable schools capable of delivering effectively the curriculum and Entitlement Framework.
“I am pleased that implementation can progress further and would like to take the opportunity to wish all staff, parents and pupils affected by these proposals every success in the future.”
Notes to editors:
- Follow us on Twitter @Education_NI
- See photos from the Department of Education in our flickr collection.
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 9127 9207. Out of office hours, contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 0762 397 4383 and your call will be returned.
- McIlveen welcomes monitoring round allocations 24 June 2021
- McIlveen welcomes planning permission for Ballycastle Shared Education Campus 23 June 2021
- Applications sought for Board/Council members of the Northern Ireland Council for Integrated Education (NICIE), The General Teaching Council for Northern Ireland (GTCNI) and Comhairle na Gaelscolaíochta (CnaG) 21 June 2021
- McIlveen announces new measures to support childcare providers 18 June 2021