Education Minister John O’Dowd has confirmed the site of the former Lisnaskea High School will be used to meet the needs of a local school and the wider community.
Minister O’Dowd has agreed to release a portion of the site to accommodate Bunscoil an Traonaigh. A local community group, South East Fermanagh Foundation had also expressed an interest and will now have the opportunity to acquire the remainder of the site.
Minister O’Dowd said:
“My decision to split the use of this site allows the whole community to benefit. The current premises occupied by Bunscoil an Traonaigh is not suitable for the permanent location of the school and this new site at the former Lisnaksea High School will allow the school to grow and develop.
“I am also pleased to be able to meet the needs of South East Fermanagh Foundation. This is a community group that has long served the people of Lisnaskea and I look forward to seeing their plans for the site take shape.”
Notes to editors:
1. The Department of Education’s ‘Education Works’ campaign promotes the value of education. This year’s campaign aims to ensure that parents have information on schooling and that they are aware of the steps they can take to ‘Get Involved’ and support their teenager in achieving good outcomes at school. Watch out for the ads on television, radio and outdoor locations. The campaign highlights the vital role families can play in helping children do well at school and improve their life chances. Visit nidirect - Education Works for more information or watch the TV ad on the Department’s YouTube channel.
2. See photos from the Department of Education in our Flickr collection.
3. Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 9127 9207. Out of office hours, contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 076 99 715 440, and your call will be returned.
- Appointment of a Non-Executive Member to the Department of Education 06 May 2022
- McIlveen announces extra £7.6M for Engage II programme 26 March 2022
- Statement from Education Minister on the use of face coverings in schools 25 March 2022
- McIlveen launches Platinum Jubilee Education Programme 25 March 2022