Parents, carers and extended family are being encouraged to support their children’s education by giving them ‘a Helping Hand’.
This is part of a new advertising campaign by the Department of Education aimed at increasing parental involvement in the education of their children.
Derek Baker Permanent Secretary at the Department said:
“Education opens up a world of opportunities for children and young people and parental involvement and encouragement plays an essential part, from the very early years through to the vital exam stages.
“Read to them from an early age; show an interest in their day at school; talk to them about their homework; and help them make the decisions now that will shape them into the adults they will become in the future.”
The Helping Hand campaign was launched today at Finaghy Library, where staff, parents and children got a preview of the television advert which goes live today.
Parents and carers are encouraged to visit nidirect for help and advice on how they can support their children throughout their education.
Concluding, Derek Baker said:
“Parental engagement with children is a strong indicator of educational success. Children need their parents to actively support them to fulfil their potential and to deliver the best possible outcomes for all of the young people of Northern Ireland.”
Notes to editors:
- Campaign video on DE’s YouTube Channel.
- For advice and tips visit nidirect.
- Further information on the campaign visit DE's website.
- Follow the Department of Education on Twitter @Education_NI.
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 9127 9207. Out of hours, contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623974383 and your call will be returned.
- McIlveen welcomes £1m investment in IT resources for voluntary youth sector 24 January 2022
- ‘Safety and wellbeing of children and young people a priority’ - McIlveen 10 January 2022
- Appointment of new members to the Boards of the Northern Ireland Council for Integrated Education and Comhairle na Gaelscolaĺochta 07 January 2022
- McIlveen congratulates education staff receiving New Year Honours 31 December 2021