A major programme of construction has begun on a new build for Islandmagee Primary School.
The project represents an investment of £5.4million by the Department of Education through the Major Capital Works Programme.
Welcoming the start of the project at a sod cutting ceremony, Permanent Secretary, Dr Mark Browne said:
“This is a momentous day for everyone at Islandmagee Primary School which marks the start of a very exciting programme of construction.
“The significance of this £5.4million investment will be reflected in the many opportunities and benefits it will deliver for the whole school family.”
Commending the teamwork and partnership that has brought the project to this point, Dr Browne continued:
“The Principal, Governors, staff and construction & design teams have worked incredibly hard to progress this new build to this stage.
“The new school will breathe life and energy into the whole community and will provide a modern learning environment in which teachers, staff and pupils will thrive.”
Islandmagee Primary School Principal Arlene Cambridge said:
“On 15 March 2016, the Minister for Education, announced a new school build for Islandmagee Primary School. Following amalgamation, we opened in September 2016 and since then, our school has continued to grow and thrive despite the challenges brought about by a split campus. We have worked tirelessly together with the authorities to get us to this exciting stage in our journey and seeing the first sod cut and construction begin.
“I believe that the pupils, dedicated staff, Governors and indeed the whole Islandmagee Community, very much deserve the new state of the art building and facilities. Everyone will benefit immensely from this new, modern, energy efficient school building and we will all be together in one place.”
It is expected that construction will be completed in May 2024.
Notes to editors:
- McAdam Design are the Integrated Consultant Team on the project Martin & Hamilton Ltd were appointed to carry out the construction works.
- Follow us on Twitter @Education_ni(external link opens in a new window / tab)
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office at Press.Office@education-ni.gov.uk.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out-of-hours service For Media Enquiries Only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Department of Education protects funding for vulnerable children and young people 01 June 2023
- New £6.9million extension for Enniskillen Integrated Primary School officially opened 26 May 2023
- Independent review of special educational needs will drive forward change for children and young people 23 May 2023
- Pastoral Care awards for local schools 22 May 2023