Education Minister Peter Weir has today announced nine schools to advance in design under the Major Capital Works Programme.
Three primary schools and six post-primary schools will benefit from an estimated capital investment of £156 million.
Speaking in the Assembly, the Minister said: “I am today announcing nine school projects to advance in design under the Major Capital Works Programme, which will result in an investment in the region of £156 million in the schools’ estate.
“Improving the schools’ estate is one of my priorities and in the current unprecedented and difficult times, I hope this latest announcement regarding major capital investment will send a strong signal to the local construction industry and local communities that the Department of Education is planning for the future and is committed to supporting the local economy and the wider community through the delivery of our capital programme.”
Concluding, Peter Weir said: “My Department’s capital programme aims to ensure that all our young people are educated in school facilities which are safe, secure and fit-for-purpose, enabling them to receive the quality education experience required to help them to fulfil their potential.
“This announcement today represents another strand of the overall capital programme and follows my announcement in May of funding of a further sixteen projects under the School Enhancement Programme.”
Notes to editors:
1. The list of schools which will advance in design from this announcement are:
- Holy Trinity Primary School, Enniskillen
- St Catherine’s Primary School, Strabane
- St Mary’s Primary School, Craigavon (Derrymore Road)
- All Saints College, Belfast
- Blessed Trinity College, Belfast
- St Conor’s College, Kilrea
- St Louis Grammar School, Kilkeel
- St Patrick’s College, Maghera
- Tandragee Junior High School, Tandragee.
2. Follow us on Twitter @Education_NI
3. Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office at Press.Office@education-ni.gov.uk.
4. The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- McIlveen cuts first sod for new £33million build for Down High School 27 October 2022
- McIlveen extends Engage and Healthy Happy Minds programmes 27 October 2022
- New £14.5m Rossmar Special School officially opened 26 October 2022
- Nominate your school for Derrytrasna Pastoral Care Awards 25 October 2022