Education Minister Michelle McIlveen has announced a further £2.25million investment in the Healthy Happy Minds programme.
The counselling and therapeutic support programme for primary school pupils will now be able to continue in the next academic year, with funding guaranteed until the end of 2022 at this stage.
Announcing the investment, Minister McIlveen said:
“Looking after the emotional health and wellbeing of our children is of paramount importance to me. That is why I have decided to extend the Healthy Happy Minds pilot into the next academic year.
“This programme continues to have a significant positive impact on the wellbeing of our youngest pupils and there is a clear need to continue providing them with this critical support.
“I welcome confirmation received today from the Finance Minister, this will allow me to provide all primary schools with additional allocations for September to December 2022 to secure therapeutic and counselling services for their pupils.”
Funding will be provided to all primary schools including special schools and EOTAS with a primary school cohort.
Notes to editors:
- Follow the Department of Education on Twitter @Education_NI(external link opens in a new window / tab)(external link opens in a new window / tab) and on Facebook @Department of Education NI(external link opens in a new window / tab)(external link opens in a new window / tab)
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 9127 9207 or email: Press.Office@education-ni.gov.uk.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out-of-hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- NI Pupils perform well in mathematics, reading and science in International Survey 05 December 2023
- Reinforced Autoclaved Aerated Concrete (RAAC) identified at a school in Belfast 29 November 2023
- Strike action will further disrupt the education of children and young people 20 November 2023
- Call for School Governors across Northern Ireland 13 November 2023