Monkstown Boxing Club is to benefit from funding support to help them continue to provide education provision to young people and their families.
The Club is set to receive £143,000, aimed at further progressing actions within the report “A Fair Start”, which is helping to ensure children and young people, regardless of background, are given the best start in life.
The Minister said: "I am pleased to announce £143,000 funding for Monkstown Boxing Club to help support the fantastic work their Project Manager Paul Johnston (MBE) and his team do for young people and their families in the, Rathcoole and Monkstown area.
“This will enable Monkstown Boxing Club to continue to provide a wide range of education based programmes and services during the year ahead.”
Monkstown Boxing Club has been providing education support programmes since 2012, that use the power of sport and youth work to help disengaged young people develop academic and emotional skills.
Continuing the Minister said: “Monkstown Boxing Club’s ‘In Your Corner’ programme is another example of the very positive work on-going within local communities, which was highlighted within the report “A Fair Start”.
“The Club delivers an education scheme to support young people who are facing a range of challenges and at risk of disengaging with education. This investment will enable them to be supported, attend school regularly and achieve the success they are capable of as they progress with their education, training or into employment.”
The funding will also help ensure activities for young people, including a breakfast and after schools club and youth leadership and employability programmes continue to operate successfully.
Notes to editors:
1. The report “A Fair Start” is available here: Fair Start Report
2. Follow us on Twitter @Education_ni(external link opens in a new window / tab)
3. Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office at Press.Office@education-ni.gov.uk.
4. The Executive Information Service operates an out-of-hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Appointment of a Non-Executive Member to the Department of Education 06 May 2022
- McIlveen announces extra £7.6M for Engage II programme 26 March 2022
- Third Report on Advancing Shared Education laid to the Northern Ireland Assembly 25 March 2022
- Review of restraint and seclusion in educational settings published 25 March 2022