Education Minister Michelle McIlveen has announced a £28million construction contract for a new build Ardnashee School and College, forming part of a total £34million capital investment in the project.
Following the completion of a formal tender process, the Department has approved the award of tender to Woodvale Construction, Omagh. Construction of the new build school is due to commence in Spring 2022 and has an estimated 30 month construction programme.
Welcoming this significant investment, the Minister said: “I am delighted to make this much anticipated £28million announcement, which is part of a total £34million capital investment in this new build for the school.
“This important project funded by my Department, will provide state-of-the-art facilities for the school which caters for children aged 3 to 19 years with profound and multiple, severe and moderate learning difficulties.
“The new modern accommodation which I know will be welcomed by the Principal, Board of Governors, staff and pupils, will provide an improved learning and working environment at Ardnashee and will have a positive effect for everyone for many years to come.”
When completed, the new build school will provide accommodation for a total enrolment of 275 pupils.
Ardnashee School & College is a controlled special school in Londonderry, which was formed in September 2014 through the amalgamation of Belmont House School and Foyle View School.
The Minister continued: “I have no doubt that everyone in the school is looking forward to see the ongoing construction of the new school.
“Not only is this great news for the school community, this investment will also be welcomed by the construction industry by providing employment and a much needed boost for the local economy.”
Notes to editors:
- Follow us on Twitter @Education_ni
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office at Press.Office@education-ni.gov.uk
- The Executive Information Service operates an out-of-hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Appointment of a Non-Executive Member to the Department of Education 06 May 2022
- McIlveen announces extra £7.6M for Engage II programme 26 March 2022
- Statement from Education Minister on the use of face coverings in schools 25 March 2022
- McIlveen launches Platinum Jubilee Education Programme 25 March 2022