Education Minister Michelle McIlveen has launched a new Major Capital Works Call for post primary schools.
Nominations of ten post primary schools each from the Council for Catholic Maintained Schools (CCMS) and the Education Authority (EA) will be considered, three nominations from the Northern Ireland Council for Integrated Education (NICIE) and two nominations from Comhairle na Gaelscolaíochta (CnaG) will be considered. Voluntary Grammar Schools are eligible to self-nominate, with the approval of Trustees/Board of Governors.
Launching the call for nominations the Minister said: “My principal aim is to give our children and young people the best start in life and to offer every learner an opportunity to achieve their full potential. We must therefore ensure that capital investment delivers high quality school accommodation of the right size, with a clear focus on raising standards for all children.”
The protocol to be used for assessment can be found on the Department’s website under the following link: https://www.education-ni.gov.uk/topics/schools-and-infrastructure/protocol-selection-major-capital-works-december-2021
The Minister continued: “I have no doubt the Major Capital Works Programme will have a positive impact on staff, pupils, parents and communities across Northern Ireland, as well as providing a boost to the local construction industry.”
Notes to editors:
- The closing date for nominations is 4pm on 14 January 2022; any applications lodged after this time/date will not be accepted.
- Following the closing date all applications lodged will be assessed against the Gateway/Eligibility criteria. Only schools which pass the Gateway/Eligibility stage will progress to the assessment and scoring stage.
- The Minister will make her announcement of schools to be advanced in design under the Major Capital Works Programme in March 2022.
- Follow us on Twitter @Education_ni
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office at Press.Office@education-ni.gov.uk.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out-of-hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- McIlveen cuts first sod for new £33million build for Down High School 27 October 2022
- McIlveen extends Engage and Healthy Happy Minds programmes 27 October 2022
- New £14.5m Rossmar Special School officially opened 26 October 2022
- Nominate your school for Derrytrasna Pastoral Care Awards 25 October 2022