Education Minister Michelle McIlveen has cut the first sod on a new £34m school for Ardnashee School and College.
The new build single storey school will provide modern accommodation for a total of 275 nursery, primary, post primary and post 16 pupils.
Speaking on the site of the new school, the Minister praised the work of the school, the Education Authority and contractors for getting the project to the construction stage.
She said: “I am so pleased that construction of this long awaited new school is now on the ground. This is a momentous day for parents, pupils, teachers and school staff as well as the wider local community.
“Once completed, the new school will provide state-of-the-art facilities for some of our most vulnerable children and for that reason is even more important and very much deserved.
“I am confident that the fabulous facilities at Ardnashee will be of real benefit to the whole community for many years to come. I wish all the pupils, staff and school management every success as you embark on this new chapter.”
Abigail McConville, Locality Programme Manager with Major Capital Delivery Service at the Education Authority said:
“The Education Authority is delighted to be part of this project which has seen the very best in collaboration across a range of stakeholders, with the school community always central to the process.
“Ardnashee School and College will be a model for effective teaching and learning, providing a dynamic and exciting educational environment where pupils develop a love of learning and the skills they need for the future.”
Woodvale Construction Company has been appointed to carry out the main building works, which are due to complete in autumn 2024.
Notes to editors:
- Ardnashee School & College is a controlled special school in Londonderry, formed in September 2014 through the amalgamation of Belmont House School and Foyle View School.
- The school caters for children aged 3 to 19 years with profound and multiple (PMLD), severe (SLD) and moderate (MLD) learning difficulties. When completed, the new build school will provide accommodation for a total enrolment of 275 pupils
- The new build scheme was first announced to advance in planning in June 2012.
- Woodvale Construction Company has been appointed to carry out the main building works, which are due to complete in Autumn 2024. The Integrated Design Team is Samuel Stevenson & Sons.
- Follow us on Twitter @Education_ni(external link opens in a new window / tab)(external link opens in a new window / tab)
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office at Press.Office@education-ni.gov.uk.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out-of-hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- New £6.9million extension for Enniskillen Integrated Primary School officially opened 26 May 2023
- Independent review of special educational needs will drive forward change for children and young people 23 May 2023
- Pastoral Care awards for local schools 22 May 2023
- New school build for St Ronan’s College 16 May 2023