Education Minister Michelle McIlveen has today announced a major £1million investment in the provision of digital devices to support children’s learning.
Around 4,000 devices will be provided to Primary Schools, Secondary Schools, Special Schools and EOTAS centres this autumn.
Welcoming the investment, the Minister said:
“Access to high quality and modern technology is vital for children and young people and I am confident this £1million investment in digital devices will provide enhanced learning and support for those pupils who need it most.
“The new devices are being offered to schools in phases, starting with schools with the highest percentage of free school meals. The devices will support learning in the classroom as well as home use where appropriate.”
Up to four phases are being planned for the scheme, which will see over 16,000 devices being procured and distributed to nearly 450 schools across Northern Ireland by 2026.
The Minister continued:
“The digital device scheme delivers on a key action within the ‘A Fair Start’ report, which focuses on addressing the negative impact that socio-economic deprivation can have on children’s educational outcomes.
“Actions set out in the report are capable of making a real and significant impact on children’s learning, which will help close the achievement gap for our children and young people.”
The Education Authority will manage the delivery of the devices to schools.
Notes to editors:
- The devices being provided to schools include: Chromebook, MS Surface SE and Apple iPad.
- Follow us on Twitter @Education_ni
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office at Press.Office@education-ni.gov.uk
- The Executive Information Service operates an out-of-hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- McIlveen cuts first sod for new £33million build for Down High School 27 October 2022
- McIlveen extends Engage and Healthy Happy Minds programmes 27 October 2022
- New £14.5m Rossmar Special School officially opened 26 October 2022
- Nominate your school for Derrytrasna Pastoral Care Awards 25 October 2022