A formal offer on teachers’ pay for 2019 and 2020 has been accepted by the five main teaching unions.
Education Minister Peter Weir said: “I am pleased that the five trade unions which make up the Northern Ireland Teachers’ Council (NITC) have accepted a pay offer today on behalf of their members.
“Management side offered a cost of living increase of 2% payable from 1 September 2019 and an additional 2% payable from 1 September 2020. The pay award is applicable to all salary scales and teaching allowances.”
The business case for the pay offer will be subject to formal approvals from the Department of Finance.
Concluding the Minister said: “Teachers play a vital role in the Northern Ireland education system and I want to put on record my appreciation for the hard work they do on a daily basis, which has been made more difficult by the challenges of this pandemic.”
Notes to editors:
- The pay offer for teachers includes backdating of a 2% salary increase from September 2019, and a further 2% from September 2020 for all teachers, and it is expected that teachers will receive payment in either May or June 2021, subject to DoF approval of the business case for the pay offer.
- A copy of the joint statement from the Teachers' Negotiating Committee is available at Joint statement from Teachers’ Negotiating Committee – 2 March
- Follow us on Twitter @Education_ni(external link opens in a new window / tab)
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office at: Press.Office@education-ni.gov.uk
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service For Media Enquiries Only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Online applications open for free school meals and uniform grants 28 June 2021
- McIlveen welcomes monitoring round allocations 24 June 2021
- McIlveen welcomes planning permission for Ballycastle Shared Education Campus 23 June 2021
- Applications sought for Board/Council members of the Northern Ireland Council for Integrated Education (NICIE), The General Teaching Council for Northern Ireland (GTCNI) and Comhairle na Gaelscolaíochta (CnaG) 21 June 2021