Education Minister, Peter Weir has today issued new guidance to schools which endorses the use of academic selection in grammar schools.
The guidance explains that primary schools can support their pupils by supplying support materials, carry out preparation for tests during core teaching hours, coach in exam technique, and familiarise pupils with the testing environment.
Peter Weir said:
“This week marks 100 days into my term as Education Minister. I have been clear from the outset that I support academic selection and wanted to reflect the widespread public support for its retention and for the process to be improved.
“The guidance which has been sent to schools today allows primary schools to respond to parental demand to prepare children for the transfer tests. Importantly, it removes any perceived threat to primary schools involved in supporting children through the process of transfer.
“This is a significant change to an area where no progress or agreement had been made for a significant period of time.”
Continuing the Minister said that every child, regardless of background, postcode, social group, religion or ethnicity has the opportunity to get into a grammar school.
“Grammar schools can, by setting demanding standards and offering rich educational opportunities, secure impressive outcomes for those who will derive the greatest benefit from them.
“This in no way diminishes the excellent work being carried out in our non-selective post primary schools. Those who did not attend Grammar schools have likewise gone on to make a very significant contribution to the social and economic life of our country.”
Concluding the Minister said that parents of children in P7 and P6 will transfer under the current arrangements.
“Today’s guidance will support both primary and post-primary schools to make this transition as seamless as possible for these pupils.
“This, I believe, is in the best interests of children and supports the positive intentions behind the use of academic selection to post-primary school.”
Notes to editors:
1. Two guidance documents have been published on the Department’s website.
- Circular 2016/15 “The Procedure for Transfer from Primary to Post-primary Education” can be accessed on the DE website.
- The document “Post-primary transfer guidance from September 2016” can be accessed on the DE website.
2. Follow us on Twitter @education_NI
3. See photos from the Department of Education in our flickr collection.
4. Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 9127 9207. Out of office hours, contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 076 99 715 440, and your call will be returned.
- Covid-19:Volunteering within the education sector 06 April 2020
- Education Minister calls for urgent volunteers to assist in education sector 06 April 2020
- New ‘clustering’ guidance published for schools 31 March 2020
- Letter from Minister for Education to schools on cluster arrangements 31 March 2020