Education Minister John O’Dowd has approved development proposals to close Holy Family Nursery School and establish a statutory nursery unit at Holy Family Primary School, Belfast.
Speaking about his decision, the Minister said:
“The aim of these proposals was to effect a change in management control from a statutory nursery school to a statutory nursery unit. I am satisfied that these proposals represent the best solution for the children involved.
“I want to thank all at Holy Family Nursery School. Your commitment and hard work is appreciated and the close links formed with Holy Family Primary School over the years will help facilitate a smooth transition to the new structure. I wish Holy Family Primary School and its Nursery Unit continued success for the future.”
Holy Family Nursery School will close from 31 August 2016, with the nursery unit at Holy Family Primary School opening from 1 September 2016.
Notes to editors:
- Holy Family NS and Holy Family PS are situated about 140 metres from each other. Both schools are managed by the Council for Catholic Maintained Schools (CCMS).
- On 17 September 2015 the Education Authority (EA) published linked DPs 426 and 427 on behalf of CCMS. The proposals aimed to close Holy Family Nursery School (NS) from 31 August 2016 and simultaneously establish a 52 full-time place nursery unit at Holy Family Primary School (PS), Belfast from 1 September 2016. The two month statutory objection period for these two proposals ended on 17 November 2015.
- The Minister’s approval will effect a change in management control from a statutory nursery school to a statutory nursery unit. The current level of service in terms of provision (i.e. 52 full-time places) will remain unaffected.
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education’s Communications Team on Tel: 028 9127 9207. Out of office hours contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07699715440 and your call will be returned.
- McIlveen cuts first sod for new £33million build for Down High School 27 October 2022
- McIlveen extends Engage and Healthy Happy Minds programmes 27 October 2022
- New £14.5m Rossmar Special School officially opened 26 October 2022
- Nominate your school for Derrytrasna Pastoral Care Awards 25 October 2022