Education Minister, Peter Weir, has attended the opening of a new modular building at Holywood Nursery School.
The new £175,000 accommodation was provided through the minor works scheme following an increase in enrolment at the school to meet demand.
Speaking today, the Minister said:
“Earlier this year I approved an increase in enrolment at Holywood Nursery School as there was a clear need for additional places in the area. The new modular building provides an additional nursery classroom and toilet facilities which allows for the growth of the school.
“I am very pleased to be here today at the opening of this much-needed accommodation which I know will make a real difference to the children and staff.”
The new accommodation comprises of a main nursery classroom with adjoining toilets, stores and a quiet room. Enhancement works were also carried out to form a new entrance, create additional car parking and an associated access path.
In conclusion the Minister said:
“The increased places at Holywood Nursery School will help meet current and anticipated demand for pre-school places in the area. This is a good day for Holywood and I congratulate all involved in bringing this project to fruition.”
Notes to editors:
- Holywood Nursery School is a Controlled Nursery School, situated on Church Road, Holywood.
- Following an increase in approved enrolment from 52 to 78 pupils, the Education Authority recently completed the construction of a new modular building adjacent to the existing school.
- The project was designed and managed by the Education Authority and was completed on time and within budget.
- The 10-week construction programme ran from 28 July to 5 October and the total cost was £175k.
- The main contractor was Western Building Systems.
- Minor works are projects less than £500,000 and range from minor improvements to more significant projects and extensions.
- Follow us on Twitter @education_NI
- See photos from the Department of Education in our flickr collection.
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 9127 9207. Out of office hours, contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 0762 397 4383, and your call will be returned.
- Northern Ireland Teachers’ Pension Scheme – IT System contract award 20 June 2019
- Work starts on £8.6million Holy Evangelists’ Primary School in Dunmurry 19 June 2019
- Views sought on newcomer pupils policy 18 June 2019
- Post Primary Admissions - Information 31 May 2019