Education Minister, Peter Weir, MLA has approved the establishment of a 26 (part-time) place statutory nursery unit at Cranmore Integrated Primary School (IPS), Belfast, with effect from 1 September 2017 or as soon as possible thereafter.
Speaking about his decision the Minister said:
“I am mindful of my Department’s duty to encourage and facilitate integrated education as well as its aim to provide at least one year of pre-school education to every family that wants it.
“I have carefully considered the impact of this proposal and am satisfied that the establishment of a statutory single nursery unit at Cranmore Integrated Primary School is the most appropriate way forward for pre-school provision at this particular setting.
“The out workings of this proposal will result in a net increase of two additional places to help facilitate the placement of target-age pre-school children in this area.”
Concluding the Minister said:
“I want to thank the staff at Cranmore Playgroup for all of their hard work over the years. I wish all at Cranmore Integrated Primary School continued success.”
Notes to editors:
- The Education Authority (EA), on behalf of the Board of Governors of Cranmore Integrated Primary School (IPS), published Development Proposal (DP) 473 on 15 September 2016. A two-month statutory objection period on the proposal ended on 15 November 2016. The implementation date for the proposal is 1 September 2017.
- The DP is to establish a 26 part-time place nursery unit at Cranmore IPS. As a result, the associated Cranmore IPS Playgroup will close. The Playgroup currently offers 24 pre-school places. This proposal will provide a total of 26 pre-school (part-time) places which represents a net increase of two additional pre-school places at this setting which will help address a shortfall of places in the area.
- The same Board of Governors (BoG) currently manage provision at Cranmore IPS and Playgroup. The BoG set the Playgroup up in 2003 and is its Management Committee. The Nursery Unit will be established at Cranmore IPS in the purpose built nursery building on site (currently used by the Playgroup).
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education’s Communications Team on Tel: 028 9127 9207. Out of office hours contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 0762 397 4383 and your call will be returned.
- McIlveen welcomes monitoring round allocations 24 June 2021
- McIlveen welcomes planning permission for Ballycastle Shared Education Campus 23 June 2021
- Applications sought for Board/Council members of the Northern Ireland Council for Integrated Education (NICIE), The General Teaching Council for Northern Ireland (GTCNI) and Comhairle na Gaelscolaíochta (CnaG) 21 June 2021
- McIlveen announces new measures to support childcare providers 18 June 2021