Education Minister, John O'Dowd, welcomes the Court of Appeal judgment which has resulted in the case being sent back for reconsideration.
Mr Justice Treacy is asked to reconsider and set out clearly if and how he took all material information into account when making his decision.
Minister O’Dowd said:
“The Court of Appeal has asked Mr Justice Treacy to reconsider his judgment in light of all the information provided to and known by me when I made my decisions about the future of Clintyclay Primary School.
“The Court of Appeal recognises that the learned Judge is required to consider all grounds of appeal and that there are significant matters in favour of my decision which do not appear in his judgment and should be clearly addressed.
“The affidavit in these proceedings, approved by me, clearly states that I read all of the information in the submission before making my decision. As Minister for Education I am acutely aware of the financial issues associated with small schools and the additional resources needed to help them deliver the curriculum as well as the advice I receive on individual school budgets.
“I look forward to a prompt reconsideration of this case to provide clarity for all concerned.”
Notes to editors:
- The Department of Education’s ‘Education Works’ campaign promotes the value of education. This year’s campaign aims to ensure that parents have information on schooling and that they are aware of the steps they can take to ‘Get Involved’ and support their teenager in achieving good outcomes at school. Watch out for the ads on television, radio and outdoor locations. The campaign highlights the vital role families can play in helping children do well at school and improve their life chances. Visit nidirect for more information or watch the TV ad on the Department’s YouTube channel .
- See photos from the Department of Education in our flickr collection:
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 9127 9207. Out of office hours, contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 076 99 715 440, and your call will be returned.
- New £6.9million extension for Enniskillen Integrated Primary School officially opened 26 May 2023
- Independent review of special educational needs will drive forward change for children and young people 23 May 2023
- Pastoral Care awards for local schools 22 May 2023
- New school build for St Ronan’s College 16 May 2023