A Development Proposal for the establishment of an Irish Medium Unit at St Brigid’s College, Londonderry has been turned down.
Education Minister Peter Weir said:
“In reaching this decision I am mindful of my statutory duties towards Irish Medium Education, and am concerned at the detrimental impact such a proposal would have on existing Irish Medium provision at Gaelcholaiste Dhoire which would threaten the long term sustainability of the school.
“Effective Area Planning of Irish medium provision requires Development Proposals to be brought forward in a co-ordinated and strategic manner that take full account of all relevant considerations. Unfortunately this has not happened in this instance, with the resultant fragmented approach to the planning of Irish medium provision in the area.”
In conclusion the Minister said:
“While I recognise there is potential for growth in the sector, a robust case must be presented, producing a sustainable and viable solution for the provision of post-primary Irish medium education to children in Londonderry and the surrounding area. This area solution should be consistent with strategic priorities for action set out in the draft EA Area Plan for 2017-2020 “Providing Pathways” which is open for public consultation until 12 December 2016.”
Notes to editors:
- On 14 June 2016 the Education Authority (EA) published DP 469 on behalf of the Council for Catholic Maintained Schools (CCMS). The proposal seeks to establish an Irish Medium (IM) Unit at St Brigid’s College, Londonderry, with effect from 1 September 2017, or as soon as possible thereafter.
- The statutory two-month objection period for this proposal commenced on the date of publication and ended on 15 August 2016.
- Follow us on Twitter @education_NI
- See photos from the Department of Education in our flickr collection.
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 9127 9207. Out of office hours, contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 0762 397 4383, and your call will be returned.
- Home to School Transport Review 03 December 2018
- Ten youth capital investment schemes given the go-ahead 29 November 2018
- New accommodation officially opened at St Joseph's Primary School, Newcastle 09 November 2018
- Nominate your school for Derrytrasna Pastoral Care Awards 06 November 2018