Education Minister, Peter Weir, has turned down a Development Proposal for the establishment of a statutory part-time Irish-medium nursery unit at Gaelscoil na mBeann, Kilkeel.
Commenting on his decision the Minister said: “Taking all considerations into account including statutory duties in relation to Irish-medium education, I am also bound to consider carefully all the information pertinent to any proposal to establish new provision on a case-by-case basis and the potential displacement of good quality pre-existing pre-school provision within the sector.
“The demand for pre-school places in the area is currently being met and there is scope to increase provision within the voluntary/private sector should demand for places increase.”
In conclusion the Minister said: “From all the information provided it leads me to conclude that the evidence does not currently support the establishment of a statutory part-time Irish-medium nursery unit at Gaelscoil na mBeann."
Notes to editors:
- On 28 April 2016, the Education Authority published Development Proposal 466, on behalf of the Board of Governors of Gaelscoil na mBeann. The proposal aims to establish a statutory part-time Irish-medium nursery unit, with 26 part-time places at Gaelscoil na mBeann with effect from 1 September 2016, or as soon as possible thereafter.
- The statutory 2-month objection period ended on 28 June 2016.
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 9127 9207. Out of office hours, contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 0762 397 4383, and your call will be returned.
- New £5 million St Bronagh’s Primary School and Youth Centre officially opened 15 February 2019
- HRH The Princess Royal opens £24million Foyle College 07 February 2019
- Green light for £40million investment in 16 schools 21 January 2019
- Home to School Transport Review 03 December 2018