Education Minister Michelle McIlveen has said she is disappointed with a lack of progress on teachers’ pay negotiations.
A formal offer on teachers’ pay for 2021/22 and 2022/23, which was made to the Northern Ireland Teachers’ Council (NITC) has been rejected.
Education Minister Michelle McIlveen said: “I am disappointed that the Northern Ireland Teachers’ Council (NITC) have rejected the pay offer that was made to them last week.
“Management Side had offered a two-year pay deal worth 3.2% from 1 September 2021. The pay award would have seen the removal of the bottom point of the current teachers’ pay scale and the addition of a further point at the top of the scale, with a similar approach applied to each of the pay ranges for school leaders.”
In conclusion, the Minister said:
“This pay offer had been made despite a very difficult financial situation and I had hoped that this would have led to a completion of the pay negotiations for 2021/22 and 2022/23 during the current mandate. Management Side will now take time to consider how the matter should be progressed before engaging again with NITC.”
Notes to editors:
- Management Side of the Teachers’ Negotiating Council (TNC) made a two year pay offer for 2021/22 and 2022 worth a total of 3.2% to the NITC on 7 February 2022.
- The NITC subsequently consulted their membership and met with Management Side on 16 February 2022 when they formally rejected the offer.
- Management Side will now take time to consider how the matter should be progressed.
- Follow us on Twitter @Education_ni
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office at Press.Office@education-ni.gov.uk
- The Executive Information Service operates an out-of-hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- New £6.9million extension for Enniskillen Integrated Primary School officially opened 26 May 2023
- Independent review of special educational needs will drive forward change for children and young people 23 May 2023
- Pastoral Care awards for local schools 22 May 2023
- New school build for St Ronan’s College 16 May 2023