The Education Minister has expressed his appreciation and thanks to school leaders and promised action to support their professional development and wellbeing and manage workloads.
Highlighting the importance of Continuing Professional Development for school leaders, Minister Weir said: “As recommended in the recent Fair Start report by the Expert Panel, investment in the Learning Leaders Strategy will help to ensure that all of our teachers, from the newly qualified to the most experienced principals, have access to an ongoing programme of high quality Professional Learning.
“Our school leaders must also be provided with adequate support in delivering their roles and know when and where to seek assistance, which should be readily available.”
Addressing the issue of teacher workload, the Minister said: "I recognise the vital role our school leaders and teachers play in creating a safe, harmonious and effective learning environment in which pupils can flourish.
“I have therefore committed £1.2m to resource a project to progress nine reviews contained within the Teacher Pay and Workload Agreement. These include a review of workload impact on school leaders and examination of ways to maximise professional skills and ease workloads without compromising the support to pupils.”
Notes to editors:
- The “Fair Start” report by the Expert panel was launched on 1 June. A copy of the report is available at: A Fair Start report
- The Teachers’ Pay and Workload Agreement 2017-2019 was ratified in April 2020, bringing an end to a long running industrial dispute: https://www.education-ni.gov.uk/news/formal-agreement-teachers-pay-and-workload
- Follow us on Twitter @Education_ni
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office at Press.Office@education-ni.gov.uk.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out-of-hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- McIlveen welcomes planning permission for Ballycastle Shared Education Campus 23 June 2021
- Applications sought for Board/Council members of the Northern Ireland Council for Integrated Education (NICIE), The General Teaching Council for Northern Ireland (GTCNI) and Comhairle na Gaelscolaíochta (CnaG) 21 June 2021
- McIlveen announces new measures to support childcare providers 18 June 2021
- Work begins on £6million project at Enniskillen Integrated Primary School 16 June 2021