Education Minister, Peter Weir, has attended the opening ceremony of Camp Camilla Summer Camp at Lagan College, Belfast.
Camp Camilla is an American style summer camp designed to bring together children and young people from integrated schools across Northern Ireland and visiting students from the USA.
The Minister said:
“I am very pleased to be here today to welcome both our American visitors and our local young people to Camp Camilla. As Minister for Education, I am committed to ensuring that all young people, regardless of background, have the opportunity to realise their full potential. Activities delivered outside of normal school or curriculum time such as those offered by Camp Camilla offer young people the opportunity to develop additional skills and attributes in a positive environment that will help shape their future.”
The camp, now in its second year, is being held from 8-12 August at Lagan College, Belfast with young people attending from integrated schools across Northern Ireland and from the Youth Division of the First Presbyterian Church in Dallas, Texas. The camp offers a range of organised activities including Art, Dance, Drama, Music, Basketball, Golf, Soccer and Tennis.
Concluding, the Minister said:
“Events like Camp Camilla provide a unique opportunity for our young people to learn about themselves and others and enrich their experiences. It is wonderful to see so many young people and volunteers actively engaged during the holidays.”
“I would like to thank everyone involved with Camp Camilla for their hard work and dedication as well as the staff at Lagan College for making my visit so enjoyable. I wish all the participants every success for the future.”
Notes to editors:
- Follow us on Twitter @education_NI
- See photos from the Department of Education in our flickr collection.
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 9127 9207. Out of office hours, contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 076 99 715 440, and your call will be returned.
- Ministers support cyber security message to protect children and young people online 11 February 2020
- Education Minister opens anti-bullying young people’s forum 07 February 2020
- Consultation on proposed update to nutritional standards for school food 30 January 2020
- £11.4 million works begin on St Patrick’s Primary School, North Belfast 23 January 2020