Education Minister, Peter Weir, condemns the fire at Good Shepherd Primary School in Londonderry.
Early indications suggest that the fire was deliberate, but this is yet to be confirmed following a full investigation by the relevant authorities.
Speaking today the Minister said:
“Any attack to a school property is damaging for the young people and indeed the staff of that school. There are only a few short weeks left of the summer break and I am sure families are already preparing for the new school term.
“Staff in my Department, the Education Authority and the Council for Catholic Maintained Schools (CCMS) will work together to ensure that the new school term will start with the minimum of disruption.”
Notes to editors:
- Follow us on Twitter @education_NI
- See photos from the Department of Education in our flickr collection.
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 9127 9207. Out of office hours, contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 076 99 715 440, and your call will be returned.
- Covid-19:Volunteering within the education sector 06 April 2020
- Education Minister calls for urgent volunteers to assist in education sector 06 April 2020
- Letter from Minister for Education to schools on cluster arrangements 31 March 2020
- New ‘clustering’ guidance published for schools 31 March 2020