Education Minister, Peter Weir, today visited St Joseph’s Grammar School, Donaghmore for the official opening of new accommodation.
The project has provided a new permanent two-storey building to house PE and drama, as well as modular buildings for Science and general classrooms and toilets.
Speaking at the official opening, the Minister said:
“I have been very impressed by these excellent new facilities and I am sure that the £3.7million investment at the school will have a positive impact on pupils teachers and school staff now and for generations to come. This scheme has been delivered under the School Enhancement Programme which provides schools with much-needed new and modern facilities.
“Ongoing investment in our schools estate is essential and projects such as this will help in the drive to improve the school environment and create a better place for pupils to learn and flourish.”
Geraldine Donnelly, Principal said:
"This is a truly momentous day for the school and these new facilities represent a strong endorsement by the Department of the outstanding educational experience we have offered pupils on this site for almost 100 years. There is a long established sporting and dramatic tradition in the area and we are confident that the facilities will be enjoyed for decades to come, not only by our own pupils but also by many local and national organisations which will be made to feel very welcome here.
“We are indebted to the design team and the contractors who have delivered a first-class product and we will continue to work closely with the Minister and his department to further enhance facilities for our pupils and staff.”
Notes to editors:
- The School Enhancement Project (SEP) was announced in 2013 for projects costing between £500,000 and £4,000,000. The programme is targeted to meet the immediate and pressing needs in schools where major capital works are not deemed deliverable.
- Work commenced on site May 2015. The appointed contractor was McAleer and Teague.
- Follow us on Twitter @education_NI
- See photos from the Department of Education in our flickr collection.
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 9127 9207. Out of office hours, contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 076 99 715 440, and your call will be returned.
- McIlveen cuts first sod for new £33million build for Down High School 27 October 2022
- McIlveen extends Engage and Healthy Happy Minds programmes 27 October 2022
- New £14.5m Rossmar Special School officially opened 26 October 2022
- Nominate your school for Derrytrasna Pastoral Care Awards 25 October 2022