Education Minister, Peter Weir, has opened a new building at The Scout Centre in Crawfordsburn.
The new facility was completed recently at a cost of £840,000 with £500,000 provided by the Department of Education under the Voluntary Youth Capital Funding Scheme.
Speaking at the opening, Peter Weir said:
“I am pleased that my Department has been able to contribute funding to such a beneficial project. Youth facilities such as the Northern Ireland Scout Centre provide young people with a safe and friendly environment to meet and develop their own individual skills, which in turn will allow them to enhance their own skills within their local communities.
“Children and young people are key to building a peaceful, stable and prosperous future and there continues to be a growing interest in the role that youth work can play in helping them enhance and fulfil their educational needs and skills.”
The Minister continued:
“I would like to thank all those volunteers who are personally involved in youth work through scouting and for their continued dedication and commitment which has a positive impact on so many young lives. I wish you great enjoyment of your new facility in these beautiful surroundings.”
Chief Commissioner for Scouts in Northern Ireland, Mr Stephen Donaldson said:
“I am delighted that we have successfully completed this phase of our major developments at the Crawfordsburn site. I want to convey sincere thanks to the Department of Education NI and many sponsors who have helped to secure this important development. The new Main Complex will help our local Scouts, and we hope many more international visitors, to have a major Scouting experience. The development greatly increases our capacity to accommodate young people in a non-residential setting.”
Notes to editors:
- Follow us on Twitter @education_NI
- See photos from the Department of Education in our flickr collection.
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 9127 9207. Out of office hours, contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 0762 397 4383, and your call will be returned.
- Minister tells INTO conference resolution of industrial action is critical 01 March 2024
- Transformation of Special Educational Needs essential – Givan 28 February 2024
- Publication of letter to Secretary of State requesting funding for Fresh Start school projects 26 February 2024
- Seven New Schools to Progress in Planning 20 February 2024