Education Minister, Peter Weir, today launched a public consultation seeking views on the Children and Young People’s Strategy for Northern Ireland.
The Strategy sets out how the Executive plans to work collaboratively with children’s authorities and children’s service providers to improve the lives of children and young people in Northern Ireland.
Launching the consultation the Minister said:
“The well-being of our children and young people is central to the development of a progressive and prosperous society. There is nothing more important than ensuring our children and young people reach their full potential to live happy fulfilling lives.
“The Strategy, when finalised, will provide direction to Government Departments and children’s authorities to deliver improved services for children and young people in areas including health, family and education.
“This consultation period is therefore vital to ensure we get this Strategy right. It provides the opportunity to engage further with stakeholders and the wider public to hear their views on what the priorities should be, what the challenges are and how we can collectively overcome them.”
The 2015 Children’s Services Co-operation Act makes it a legal requirement for the Executive to adopt a strategy that sets out how it plans to improve the well-being of children and young people. The Act also makes it compulsory for children’s authorities to work together with each other and with children’s service providers to improve the well-being of children and young people.
In welcoming the consultation of the Children’s Strategy, Koulla Yiasouma, Northern Ireland Commissioner for Children and Young People, said:
“This Strategy could have a profound impact on the lives of all children and young people across Northern Ireland.
“This consultation paper sets out the actions that the NI Executive plan to take to make children and young people’s lives better.
“With widespread and meaningful engagement with children and young people, their parents, guardians and everybody who works for and with children, this plan could become the vehicle of change that children and young people in Northern Ireland so desperately need and deserve.”
A number of events will be held during the consultation period. Links to the consultation events, document and questionnaire can be accessed through the Department of Education website.
Notes to editors:
- The consultation period for the Children and Young People’s Strategy will run from Monday 19th December 2016 until Monday 27th February 2017 at 5.00pm inclusive.
- Consultation documents, including young people’s and easy read versions of the Strategy, and the Minister’s video message, can be accessed via the Department of Education website.
- Alternative formats of the Consultation document will be considered on request by e-mailing: email@example.com
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 91279207 Out of office hours, contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number , and your call will be returned.
- Ministers take action in relation to Free School Meals payment 26 March 2020
- Update on school closures from Education Minister 23 March 2020
- Statement from Education Minister on COVID-19 response 20 March 2020
- Letter from Minister of Education to education sector 19 March 2020