Education Minister, Michelle McIlveen has congratulated the winners of the Department of Education’s Platinum Jubilee Poetry Competition.
The poetry competition was part of the Department’s Platinum Jubilee Education Programme, to mark Her Majesty The Queen’s 70 years as monarch.
Thousands of children and young people from around 150 schools took part in the competition. Category winners and runners up were awarded with their prizes at an event in Parliament Buildings.
Speaking at the awards ceremony, the Minister said:
“The Platinum Jubilee Poetry Competition provided children and young people across Northern Ireland with an opportunity to create a piece of poetry themed on Queen Elizabeth II and the Jubilee celebrations.
“Our pupils and schools did not disappoint and I am delighted by the phenomenal response, which was a fitting celebration of Her Majesty’s historic reign.”
Nicola Leacock from Belfast High School was announced as overall winner, and the school will receive £1,000 to spend on resources for their pupils.
Along with their framed poem, winners and runners-up were presented with trophies and certificates by the Minister.
The Minister continued: “As well as honouring The Queen, this competition has proved to be a great way to motivate our young poets, further develop their creative skills, and showcase their talents.
“I commend each and every child who entered this competition. Each poem is unique and inspiring in its own way and the efforts of all the young people are something of which they, their families and schools can be very proud.”
Category winners were as follows:
- Pre-school and foundation stage - Poppy Coalter, Florencecourt Primary School
- Key Stage 1 - Phoebe Law, Ballymoney Model Integrated Primary School
- Key Stage 2 - Bethany Sawyers, Augher Central Primary School
- Key Stage 3 - Eva Martin, Rathfriland High School
- Key Stage 4 and Post-16 pupils - Nicola Leacock, Belfast High School
- Special Schools (Primary) - Harry Black, Lisanally Special School, Armagh
- Special schools (Post-Primary) - Elisha Brady, Beechcroft Education Unit
- McIlveen announces £10m for Engage Programme 06 July 2022
- McIlveen announces additional £2.25m for Healthy Happy Minds 06 July 2022
- 30 June 2022
- McIlveen officially opens new £7m Enniskillen Model Primary School 22 June 2022