The first sod has been cut on a brand new school build for Holy Evangelists’ Primary School in Belfast.
Construction is expected to be complete by November 2020 and will deliver a new 21 class primary school and double nursery unit.
Derek Baker, Permanent Secretary with the Department of Education said:
“This is an important day for Holy Evangelists’ Primary School as it celebrates the start of construction work on a brand new school.
“This represents a £8.6million investment by the Department and I have no doubt that it will create many positive outcomes for the pupils and teachers and indeed the wider school community.
“I appreciate the patience and determination shown by all involved since the original announcement in June 2014 to advance this major capital investment project in planning. To have reached this key milestone, celebrating the start of the physical school build, is a credit to you all.
“I wish the pupils, staff and school management every success as they embark on this new chapter.”
Woodvale Construction have been appointed to begin the construction on a new Glasvey Drive site.
Notes to editors:
- Holy Evangelists’ Primary School has 601 pupils.
- Woodvale Construction have been appointed to begin the construction of the new school on a new Glasvey Drive site.
- Follow us on Twitter @Education_NI and our Facebook page, Department of Education Northern Ireland.
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 9127 9207. Out of office hours, contact the Duty Press Officer number 028 9037 8110.
- Weir welcomes additional funding for schools 29 October 2020
- Face coverings to be mandatory on all school transport for post primary children 29 October 2020
- Minister welcomes extension of Free School Meal payments to cover Halloween break 22 October 2020
- Applications sought for a Chairperson and Members for the Board of the Council for the Curriculum Examinations & Assessment (CCEA) 19 October 2020