SUMMARY - DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION DEPARTMENTAL BOARD
Thursday 22 November 2018
New Building Conference Room, Rathgael House
- Derek Baker (Chair)
- Noelle Buick
- Fiona Hepper
- Tommy O’Reilly
- John Smith
- Gary Fair
- Sarah Wilson (NICS HR)
- Joan McEwan
- Fiona Keenan
- Bryan Laverty (Board Secretary)
- Dr Evelyn Collins & Jacqui McKee – Item 3
- Ricky Irwin – Items 3 & 4
- Janis Scallon – Item 5
- Richard Magowan – Item 3
- Neil Palmer & Anne Glenn - Observers
Presentation from Equality Commission Chief Executive Dr Evelyn Collins
Dr Collins’s presentation focussed on the effective implementation of the equality and good relations duties and the Equality Commission’s guidance document “Section 75 - Demonstrating Effective Leadership”.
- senior management would continue to set both the tone and agenda for having due regard to the equality of opportunity duty and regard to the good relations duty;
- Officials would engage with the Commission, on an informal basis, to discuss policy developments including the Childcare Strategy.
Impact of the UK leaving the EU on Education in NI
Ricky Irwin spoke to his paper and provided members with an update on preparations for Brexit.
Area Planning Update
Janis Scallon provided the Board with an update on Area Planning and DP activity including:
The progress of projects relating to the treatment of statemented pupils as supernumerary and non-significant changes to school approved enrolment numbers;
- Departmental Decisions;
- DP Activity;
- Transfer 2018;
- DE Annual Report on Area Planning.
DE 2018/19 Corporate Risk Register (CRR) & Risk Management
Fiona Hepper spoke to her paper and presented her update on risk management. It was agreed that a Key Current IT Projects risk will be included in the CRR with Fiona Hepper as lead risk owner;
Business Planning in 2019/20
Fiona Hepper spoke to her paper.
The draft Business Plan 2018/19 will be published on the DE website.
Sarah Wilson presented the HR Report covering: • promotion and recruitment;
- employee relations;
- learning and development;
- the NICS People Strategy.
Members noted that the projected number of days lost through sickness per staff year for 2018/19 is 10.1. Members also noted that 60.5% of in year reviews were now complete (as at 1 November 2018).
Director of Finance Report
Gary spoke to his paper and provided members with an update on key financial issues, covering:
- 2018-19 Resource Budget;
- Earmarked Allocations;
- 2018-19 Capital Budget;
- 2019-21 Budget Information Gathering Exercise.
Outstanding Issues/Decisions due to Minister not being in place
Fiona Hepper spoke to her paper and provided members with an update. Following DSO advice a proposal on the way forward for the reconstitution of the EA Board will be forwarded to the Permanent Secretary shortly.