PIRLS is an important indication of the success of the Department in raising standards of reading. It provides comparisons with many other countries, in terms of the attainment of pupils and the strategies used to teach reading.
PIRLS reports for Northern Ireland can be accessed using the links below. The international reports from PIRLS may be found on the website of the study organisers the International Association for the Evaluation of Educational Achievement (IEA) TIMSS & PIRLS International Study Centre.
- PIRLS 2021 in Northern Ireland presentation of the findings: NFER
- PIRLS 2016 in Northern Ireland Executive Summary
- PIRLS 2016 Urban and rural schools in Northern Ireland
- PIRLS 2016 Parents’ engagement in their children’s learning in Northern Ireland
- PIRLS 2016 Investigating pupil performance and attitudes in Northern Ireland across ILSA studies
- PIRLS and TIMSS 2011 in Northern Ireland Full Report
For general enquiries, data requests and feedback, contact the Statistics and Research Team