TIMSS can be used to provide educational policymakers, school leaders, teachers and researchers with powerful insights into how educational systems are functioning as well as how to improve teaching and learning in mathematics and science for pupils around the world.
- Trends in International Maths and Science Study (TIMSS) 2019 in Northern Ireland - Privacy Notice
- Trends in International Maths and Science Study (TIMSS) 2019 in Northern Ireland - Privacy Notice for Pupils
TIMSS reports for Northern Ireland can be accessed using the links below. The international reports from TIMSS may be found on the website of the study organisers the International Association for the Evaluation of Educational Achievement (IEA) TIMSS & PIRLS International Study Center.
- TIMSS 2019 in Northern Ireland Full Report
- TIMSS 2019 in Northern Ireland Executive Summary
- TIMSS 2015 in Northern Ireland Full Report
- TIMSS 2015 in Northern Ireland Executive Summary
- TIMSS 2015 (NI) - Presentation of the findings
- Performance in TIMSS 2015 of disadvantaged pupils in Northern Ireland
- PIRLS and TIMSS 2011 in Northern Ireland Full Report
World Around Us Teaching Resources from TIMSS
Northern Ireland pupils took part in TIMSS 2015, which assesses how well our pupils perform in maths and science.
The results from TIMSS and other international studies are used to inform policy development and to provide a robust evidence base for comparative analysis of our system’s performance.
Our pupils performed extremely well in mathematics and although they did well in science there were areas where they didn’t do as well as expected. As a result, for the first time, we have used the analysis from TIMSS 2015 to develop new science resources for teachers.
These science lessons have been developed by NFER with advice and support from DE, CCEA, ETI and the EA, and are based on results from the Trends in International Mathematics and Sciences Study (TIMSS).
Teachers will find these resources useful in developing the use of practical and investigative work within the World Around Us lessons. More information on the application of these resources can be found at CCEA Key Stage 1 & 2 The World Around Us
For general enquiries, data requests and feedback, contact the Analytical Services Unit (ASU)