The Teacher Education Partnership Handbook (August 2010 Edition) draws together in one place guidance for student teachers, beginning teachers, teacher-tutors and others with a role in the three main stages of early teacher education.
To complement the Handbook, a Questions and Answers booklet on the Professional Development of Beginning Teachers is also available.
The Handbook contains information on the roles and responsibilities of the various teacher education partners in Northern Ireland, higher education institutions (HEIs), Education Authority, Curriculum Advisory and Support Services (CASS) and schools in the three, integrated, stages of teacher education:
- initial teacher education
- the induction stage
- the second and third years of teaching, referred to as early professional development (EPD)
The Handbook also contains the list of 27 teacher competences.
The Department's letter of 16 August 2010 issued to education partners to draw their attention to the revised Handbook and the publication of the Questions and Answers Booklet.
Career entry profile
Beginning teachers are required to complete a Career Entry Profile (CEP) to help prepare for their induction period. The CEP does this by:
- helping the beginning teacher to focus their reflection on their achievements and goals in the early stages of their teaching career
- helping the beginning teacher to engage in collaborative discussions when planning how to meet their professional development needs
- providing a link between their initial teacher education and the school(s) where they will serve their induction period