Schools in North Down are set to benefit from an investment of almost £500,000 under the Department of Education’s minor works scheme.
Speaking about the investment, Education Minister Peter Weir said:
“Capital funding of £497,000 has recently been approved for additional modular accommodation at St Columbanus College, Bangor; Holywood Primary and Nursery Schools.
“I am very pleased to be able to announce funding for much needed works within these North Down schools. Whilst I recognise that there is a wider long term capital need to be addressed at St Columbanus, Holywood Primary and Holywood Nursery, I am keen to ensure that whatever action can be taken in the short term can be progressed as quickly as possible. I believe this announcement will make a positive and real change at the three schools.
“It is estimated that over £51million will be invested in the minor works programme in the 2016/17 financial year.”
Minor works are projects less than £500,000 and range from minor improvements to more significant projects and extensions.
In conclusion the Minister said:
“I am certain that the investment in minor works projects will help in the drive to improve educational standards. The completion of the works will ultimately provide better facilities for our children and young people to learn in and an improved working environment for teachers and other school staff. This ongoing significant investment also provides a boost to our local construction industry, helping to sustain jobs.”
Notes to editors:
- The contract was awarded to Western Building Systems, Dungannon
- Minor works are projects less than £500,000 (excl. VAT).
- Schemes for controlled schools and school meals accommodation in maintained schools are administered by the Education Authority. Schemes for maintained (other than school meals accommodation), voluntary grammar, grant maintained integrated and Irish-medium schools are processed and administered by the Department of Education.
- See photos from the Department of Education in our flickr collection
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education Press Office Tel: 028 9127 9207. Out of office hours, contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 076 99 715 440, and your call will be returned.
- Latest Department of Education updates in relation to COVID-19 (coronavirus) 08 April 2020
- Education Minister welcomes progress on teachers’ pay negotiations 08 April 2020
- Covid-19:Volunteering within the education sector 06 April 2020
- Education Minister calls for urgent volunteers to assist in education sector 06 April 2020